As you may have heard, the A&A Best Practices Subcommittee recently produced a survey report on practices surrounding institutional collection development policy. The focus on policy writing is not over yet though, and the Best Practices Subcommittee is seeking your help in compiling a resource package to better equip archival staff with tools to create or update their workplace acquisition policy. Please get in touch with feedback on the survey (accessible here) and/or what resources would you find useful.
Questions to answer could include (and were also posted through our #appraisethis Twitter chat):
- Do you think collection development or acquisition policies are necessary?
- What are your initial thoughts or feedback after reading through the survey?
- Do the survey results represent your institution accurately?
- The data indicates many often have little influence on writing a policy, what would increase your ability to influence it more?
- Do you think these kinds of policies should be easily available, such as on institutional websites? Why or why not?
- For those whose policies need revision before uploading, could the A&A section offer some assistance? In what form?
- For those whose institution lack policies, what would help you get those written? Could the A&A section offer assistance to get that process jump-started?
Please write to Marcella Huggard (email@example.com) and Julie May (firstname.lastname@example.org). Any contributions are most appreciated!